Friday, January 4, 2008

#11 of Top Ten: "Chris Cross"


“Chris Cross”
2005, 11 x 11” wood block relief print
edition of 25

This print was created along with three others for an exhibit at The Moreau Gallery at Saint Mary’s University in 2005. The four were part of a small series based on my hopes, dreams, fears and wishes for my two small sons. The other three prints are: “Bendicion”, “Trenza (self portrait)” and “TV (fear).”

“Chris Cross” represents my concern over the contamination and destruction of our environment as it relates to future generations. There’s nothing too subtle about the image – there’s the polluted water, the deforested landscape and in the background a billowing cloud from nuclear reactors. When the idea first came to me I knew I wanted a person crossing a river. The crossing theme is one I’ve come back to more than once in my work (see “Memoria”, “Umbral”, and “Crossing (coyote)” as examples). What I wanted to do was contrast the idea with some mythic references to give it some depth. One day while I was driving around the idea flashed on how I could accomplish this. St. Christopher would be crossing the river.

I’ve always liked the Christopher legend. (I won’t give you the whole thing you can Wikipedia it.) I liked the giant and child aspect, the weight of the world in the Christ child’s person, the pun name (Christos = Christ, pherein = bear across …Christ carrier). I thought that it would be interesting to see Christopher try to ferry JC across a filthy polluted river. Even with his rubber waders the giant has paid a toll as evidenced by his lesion pocked skin. It can’t all be grim though. Just like in the legend there is the hope that the giant’s staff will flower again.

A couple of nods are given to two of my favorite artists, Edvard Munch and Dr. Seuss. I’m sure you’ll have no trouble picking those out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! How much is a 12 x 12?

Ramiro Rodriguez said...

The print image is 11 x 11" on a sheet of paper that is 18 x 12". Price for each print is $200 + $15 s/h. You may download and order from my website: http://www.ramirorodriguez.com
or email me: info@ramirorodriguez.com and I can invoice you through paypal.

Thanks for your interest.

Eli Harrell said...

You are very talented. I love your woodcut style. You are on my list of artists to collect.