Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Late night



Feliz 82 'Apa.


The exhibit at South Bend Christian Reformed Church opens this Friday. I’ve been putting in long days and late nights lately. It always seems to come to this right before an exhibit. Always just a few more prints or finishing touches needing to be taken care of. Selecting prints that are appropriate with this venue has gotten me thinking. Re-conceptualizing a varied group of works into a compatible whole is always good. I also took this opportunity to actualize an idea for prints that has been brewing for a while. The church function of this particular exhibition venue made me want to bring the images forth to see how they do.

The show still hasn’t been laid out (in fact I just finished printing this morning and am due to help my wife frame up the remaining pieces tonight) but I have an idea of how the work will be broken up into four sections. Each section bleeds into the others at times but they’ll go something like this - section one: the family relationship prints; section two: the dreamscape prints (hopes/fears); section three: the world-view (The inkling for this series was ignited at a reception for my father.); section four: nature. We’ll see how this plan holds up when installation time rolls around.

Late nights at the studio always mean something else has to be left undone or for someone else to take care of. I’m grateful to my best friend and supporter – my wife, Laurie, for all she does everyday and especially when exhibit time rolls around. Te amo.

No comments: