Tuesday, May 20, 2008

199 and counting



May 20, 2008
199 Days To Go

Beginning and then beginning again.
Task: How to keep a train of thought when there are so many other things vying for attention?

There are many things going on at home and in the studio. However, creating work has dropped low on the list. My full time job is about to kick into busy mode. Schedules are changing at home as the boys get out of school for the summer. When I do get to the studio I’ve had to juggle documenting works, getting information out, storing works and making a workable space, preparing supports, re-evaluating what goes where, and getting references for new works. On top of all that I have to coordinate when to paint and when to print so I’m not splashing stuff all over everything else.



Who said art making was easy? What I started working on before my trip to Mexico has been restarted. After drawing out some figures on the big canvas I realized that the composition was going to be too cramped. I then realized that this painting will have a relation to another and it would be more appropriate if the dimensions to both were closer in scale. (Once again the influence of my day job - laying out galleries - is a gift or a curse as I am thinking of how things will hang in the exhibit space as I am creating them.) So, I begin again. I’ve painted out what I’d done. The 7-year-old-Lightboy thinks I am crazy, my lovely thinks I’m crazy (but is supportive), soon-to-be-4-year-old-Miracleboy has the right idea: he just draws and draws more robots on any scrap of paper he can find.

There are now 4 big canvases staring blankly at me and I’ve yet to build 2 more stretchers. I still haven’t figured out how to reprint the coffin blocks that are glued together…

No comments: