Thursday, April 22, 2010

Llego la Primavera

It’s been a while. After my winter exhibition I kinda curled up to re-juvinate. I’ve been coming out of the winter blues and enjoying the spring activities. I’ve been traveling a bit and meeting up with old friends, as well as, making some new ones.




March was Puscifer month. My wife and I were able to catch the Chicago shows and my buddy Al and I made the Milwaukee show as well. In all, I got to see 3 unique versions of the performance and they were all incredible (V-Airline, Country Boner, Religious). MJK and troupe inject the live performances with energy and artistry that is seldom seen these days.






Last week I was invited to attend the NALAC (National Association of Latino Art and Culture) conference in San Jose, California. It was another one of those head exploding experiences. The panels on roles of various art and community projects, leadership, history, and plans for future were very inspiring. The wealth of information from the many people I met will be resonating for quite some time. I hope to incorporate some of that information and relationships in my own work and life.
There were some amazing performances by Susana Baca, Las Krudas, Las Bomberas de la Bahia, Los Soneros del Este, Los Planeros de la 21, Sones de Mexico, Los Cenzontles and the amazing Liza Garza. Some of the personal highlights were: meeting all the great people and artists (esp. Maria Luisa Colmenarez,Carmen Lomas Garza and Gilbert “Magu” Lujan, Las Gallas) attending a glass blowing workshop at BAGI by Jaime Guerrero watching The Royal Chicano Air Force and Tomas Ybarra Frausto receive their lifetime achievement awards and the midnight jam between members of Los Planeros and Sones de Mexico in one of the ballrooms of the Marriott.


Now it’s on to completing the new prints for the portfolios I’ve been invited to participate in, printing some of my little apprentices’ print editions, starting some new paintings and getting the garage studio project back on track.

No comments: