Friday, September 5, 2008

Recycled

Working from the past to the present:

August 21st, 2008
I'm being torn in two directions at the moment. Should I make work or should I work on the space where I can make work? Decisions, decisions.

Something I started more than 4 years ago and have yet to finish is calling me. I’m converting my old two stall garage into an art studio. Getting the press put a fire under me to finally buckle down and finish the conversion. Over the years the building has been rewired and the roof has been redone but I always stall out due to time or cash constraints. I've spent the last few days patching concrete and securing doors. Two days ago I bought the insulation needed to help keep the cold and damp out. I wouldn’t want the press and all my stuff getting damp, rusty, and moldy.

The thing is I still have the December show hanging out there calling for new work as well. Where's that cloning machine?






August 26th, 2008

Took a break from working on the garage last night. Took the boys to see a movie instead. I'm burning out on being covered in sweat, sawdust, insulation, dodging mud wasps and losing my rock and roll hearing to loud saws and hammering.

The place is looking very nice though. I’m using recycled materials wherever I can. I’m using some 4’x 10’ x 1/2” ply to serve as my wall cover. I’m using this for two reasons: 1) because it was free, salvaged from a gallery at work and 2) because it will allow me to nail anywhere on the wall instead of having to look for a stud every time I need to hang a heavy thing. I’m thinking about punching some holes in the north exterior walls to allow for some more windows and an exhaust fan. An electric heater is going to have to be dug up somewhere to help heat the place since I don’t have a gas line out to the garage.

I can't wait to finish getting all the wall boards up and painting everything a nice light color to brighten up the place.

It's coming along...

September 2nd, 2008
Saturday: another studio wall done, fort building, sweating, Samurai Jack, scanning, reading ...
Sunday: travel, familia, Oberon, campfire, smores, millions or stars...
Monday: giant spider, breakfast with parents, meeting cousin I haven't seen in 30+ years, missing water, picking peaches, driving...
Tuesday: back at it...


September 5th, 2008

I’ve left the garage/studio project hanging for a few days as I try to get my head back into working on some art.
Now, where was I?

No comments: