Monday, September 22, 2008

Equinox

September 22, 2008

I had a great weekend in and out of the studio. I feel like I finally got some momentum going on the paintings. The weekend also turned out to be a busy social time for me as well.

Three of the four big canvases are coming along nicely. The fourth is still waiting for the big push. Actually, it’s waiting for any push at all at the moment. I’m really partial to this particular image so I’ve been holding off doing anything major until I’m more in the painting groove. I don’t want to screw anything up. Dogs have made a comeback in the imagery. I have to schedule a time with my pal J to get some reference of Jack the wonder dog. The two series of four 18 x 24” canvases are still in the beginning stages. Right now I’m calling one series “Air” and the other “Banco” for lack of a better titles. I’ve encountered some drying issues with one of the background colors that I’ve yet to work out.

Early Friday evening we got a call that a couple of our good friends were in town. We were invited to dinner at G’s home and had a wonderful time catching up with Malaquias and Leslie Montoya. Malaquias had an opening for his “Globalization & War: The Aftermath,” exhibit in DeKalb, IL.

Saturday morning M and gang came by my studio to have a quick look at what was going on there. Although I’m not usually keen on the idea it was nice to have them see the works in progress. Leslie seemed surprised that I was working on more than one painting at a time. As I explained that it was the best way I had to deal with drying times I remembered that Malaquias works mainly in acrylic so he doesn’t encounter that problem much. They all had encouraging words before making their way to the airport. The rest of the day was spent painting and planning.

Saturday night L and I made our way to D’s house warming party. D was celebrating his new home and artworks with a small group of close friends. My Earth Dragon (coffin) suite of prints is among the Meso/Latino art pieces he has displayed. The guests had many positive compliments on the prints and I even made one possible sale (fingers crossed).

Most of Sunday was spent at the studio except for a lunchtime break to wrestle with the boys. All in all a pretty good weekend.

No comments: