Monday, March 3, 2008

The Bright Eye of God

Walked into work this morning (yes, I can walk in). My vehicle decided that electricity was just not something it was going to handle anymore so it is at the shop being coaxed into compliance. I can be pissed or see it as an opportunity... I can use the exercise anyway.

I was privileged to watch a most glorious sunrise while enjoying some tunes on my headphones and the occasional caw of my crow buddies. The morning was very warm and I hoped I wouldn't get caught in the rain that was forecast (I wasn't). During the walk I suddenly became aware of how much gravity was pulling on my body. I don't know if it was the backpack I was wearing or something else. I felt like a deep sea diver with lead boots. I thought of that Laurie Anderson bit where she says when we walk we are really falling and catching ourselves with each step.

Funny, but the last time I had to walk into work I was reading a lot of Jim Harrison and my thoughts became more poetic with every step. Recently I have taken to rereading some of JH's books that I own along with his newest collection of poems. JH is probably my favorite fiction writer. He writes a lot about walking in the wilderness, among other things, but his stories have a very zen-ny feel to them. I'll take the coincidence as a sign to get out more.

Spent the weekend finishing up printing some of the little prints' editions. I still have that big canvas staring me down. Soon.

Thanks to Teresa for being a great patron. Your recent print purchase will help put the serpentine belt back on my vehicle among other things.

No comments: