Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Four more...



October 23, 2007

Yesterday was a blur or running around, checking lists, making new lists, making a plan, changing a plan…

The gallery install is going slow as I need a few things that will be last minute. Pictures are printed, video monitor is installed, altar base is installed and draped, coffin base and servilleta is installed, and Mr. Bones is in the house.

Video elements are feeling much better thanks to some valuable insight from the video guru, Krista. I should be able to make the last adjustments and burn today. Whew!

The coffin panels await their fate on the press. I am still waiting for my ink and paper (nothing like waiting until the last minute, eh?) I should have the stuff today via my very expensive next day air order. My buddy Steve F. has agreed to help me pull some prints at ND’s print lab. Psyching up my rolling arms for what’s to come. I had thought of staining and sealing the panels before printing. The idea is to leave the panels inked up after printing so that the recessed cuts stand out against the darker ink. The sealer would be a safeguard against that idea not working out and I having to clean the panels down. Last night I nixed the idea for fear that the stain or sealer would cause lifting in the wood grain and therefore blurry lines in the print. I’ll experiment with that idea when the sword isn’t hanging over my head. So it’s on without the safeguard. Live dangerously someone said (I know it wasn’t me…)

Things that can go wrong…will go wrong. My lovely L has been on sugar skull making duty (I told you Dia de los Muertos is a family affair). They look awesome all decked out in frosting designs and color foil. I wrote the names of my deceased relatives, one each, on the skulls and set them out overnight to dry. Yesterday morning we discovered some rascal had been making a taste test out of the bunch while we slept. The little bugger didn’t just confine his rodent feast to one skull he tried about 5 of them. He must have like one better than the rest because the chin was almost completely gone! So it was back to the sugar bowl for L last night.

This morning our little taste tester got his just desserts at the end of my broom. Maybe I should make him a skull too.

No comments: